Chiatura Soviet tour with Katkshi Pillar and GoriA different side of Georgia
- Cable car ride
- Private car
- 9-10 hours
- Tour guide
WHAT TO EXPECT?
Take a trip to the past and see a different side of Georgia, away from the typical touristic routes. Visit the mining town of Chiatura, lost between rocky mountains and countless cable roads, meant to connect the mines and residential areas of the town. Chiatura was once a booming industrial town and the first place in USSR to built a rope road. Today big parts of it are abandoned and the rusty "flying coffins", as locals call the cable car cabins, as well as many decaying concrete buildings create a surreal atmosphere, where time seems to stand still.
But Chiatura has more to offer than only the brutalist Soviet architecture - the city is home to one of the most interesting convents in Georgia, built into a cliff. Another unusual landmark is the Katskhi Pillar, just a few kilometers away from Chiatura - a natural stone pillar with a small church on top of it. Today it's forbidden to climb to the top of it, but the sight is still mesmerizing.
As a bonus we've included a stop at the most controversial museums in whole Caucasus region - the Stalin museum in Gori, where he was from.
WHO IS THIS TOUR PERFECT FOR?
- Urban Explorers
- Travelers interested in Soviet heritage
- Second time Travelers
GOOD TO KNOW:
- Monasteries don't allow shorts, leggins or short dresses. To enter a monastery, men should wear normal trousers and women can use a scarf to cover their legs
- You are not obliged to use the cable cars in Chiatura - if you suffer from vertigo or feel uncomfortable about the rusty cabins, you can skip the ride in the cable cars
- See a different side of Georgia
- Take a ride in the rusty cable cars in Chiatura
- Take great photos of decaying Soviet architecture
- See Katskhi pillar in Imereti
- Visit the controversial museum of Stalin in Gori
- Stop for the lunch at a cafe with excellent Khachapuri
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Private transfer in a comfortable car with a/c
- Fun and knowledgeable English speaking guide
|Add options / Services|